Raising environmental awareness, promoting behavioural change, mobilising opinion on the critical need to live sustainably, and then providing a platform to coalesce this collective, groundbreaking voice as a powerful "agent of change" is the CEC approach.
Effective communication on environment is an imperative to raise awareness and promote on-ground action among the people and policymakers. The world is rushing ahead on the "development" path with new innovations every day. But every day it is also rushing blindly past its symbiotic relationship with nature, which sustains its overarching "development" ambitions. The giving-back-to-nature to keep alive its self-sustaining capacities is not proportional to the natural resources being consumed towards such lopsided development.
Engaging with the stakeholders to ensure that this collective, empowered call for sustainable development becomes a part of "good governance" is the CEC deliverable.
With its sector-oriented strategies of in-depth and multi-discipline research, consistent campaigns and customised programmes, and its strength in capacity building, CEC integrates a holistic approach towards environmental awareness, scaling it up to the level of governance on national and international platforms to crystallise its mission: Communicating for creating sustainable societies.
Through its thematic centres and its flagship initiatives, CEC has been providing niche environmental communication services to the sector.
CEC Expertise Facilitates Research
- Catalyse the international and national community of environment communication academia and practitioners to address the gap between theory and practice.
- Innovative and need-based research methodologies and conducts environment research on the state of contemporary affairs, baselines, knowledge, attitude, perceptions, practices, preferences, public engagement, awareness and behaviour, and examine the design of effective messages, impacts and assessments of the programmes.
- It is also equipped to identify and document good practices and case studies at the national or regional levels in accordance with national circumstances and capacities, and promote the sharing of such practices and information.
CEC Expertise Facilitates Campaigns and Programmes
- Design and develop environmental communication and mobilisation strategies and blend traditional and modern communication tools and channels.
- Plan and organise environmental communication campaigns and programmes.
- Strategise, promote and encourage communication programmes and projects inclusion, in formal and non-formal sectors, and across multiple disciplines.
- Encourage youth and children as part of public awareness and behaviour change communication programmes to contribute proactively towards protection, conservation, and adaptation actions.
- CEC's niche in the communication sector helps leverage the power of appropriate social media and new technologies, especially on social networking platforms noting the important and complementary role that such platforms can play in communicating environmental changes.
CEC Expertise Facilitates Capacity Building
- Develop tools, modules, training material, and methodologies to support environmental communication training and skills development through collaborative efforts and provide training programmes for groups with a key role in environmental communication, including journalists, teachers, youth, children, civil societies, and others.